Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark GUI development and release guidelines

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:30:18 -0500

Please forgive the newbie but I am struggling to find some basic info on adding extensions to the Wireshark GUI. I see a lot of info on Dissectors but almost nothing on extending the GUI menu options. My company has developed a product that can extend Wiresharks's filtering capabilities and I would like to develop an "add-on" that allows control of it directly from the Wireshark GUI through new menu options. I am NOT looking to add a new Dissector. I have found many examples of that as well as many references to GDK+.

After days of searching, I have been unable to find an example of someone else doing something similar to what I need. Or any GUI extensions for that matter. I am not only looking for programming examples, but also help understanding the process.

I cannot determine how it would be released if we did develop an extension. Do I understand the following correctly?

A.An extension can only be added through the "patch" process?

B.It would be totally up to us to distribute instructions to patch, or distribute a fully compiled release of our own?

I am new to developing for Wireshark and was expecting a more formal add-on process. Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks all!
Joe