Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark memory handling

From: Erlend Hamberg <hamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 22:18:39 +0200
On Monday 5. October 2009 20.46.03 Jeff Morriss wrote:
> It's been a while, but my memory says that while memory-mapped files are
> great, growing memory mapped files was (significantly) less pleasant.
>   Since Wireshark's allocations tend to be incremental, how would you
> plan to deal with that?

As I just mentioned in the reply to Guy Harris, we plan on doing this step-
wise. Maybe allocate 100 MiB at a time. Maybe 200? :-)

It is also quite possible that Guy Harris' reply to this email is the way to
go, i.e., growing a file and mmap'ing the new area.

--
Erlend Hamberg
"Everything will be ok in the end. If its not ok, its not the end."