Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark memory handling

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 14:46:03 -0400
Håvar Aambø Fosstveit wrote:
Hello!

We are a student group from the university of Science and Engineering in Norway, and are having a project on handling large data sets and specifically Wiresharks issues with it. I have included part of our prestudy into the problem as an attachment, and we are wondering if anybody has som immediate thoughts regarding our plans for a sollution.

It's been a while, but my memory says that while memory-mapped files are great, *growing* memory mapped files was (significantly) less pleasant. Since Wireshark's allocations tend to be incremental, how would you plan to deal with that?