Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using Grab for capturing the WIreshark Window

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:27:16 -0700

On Aug 27, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

I just tried it using my source build of Wireshark from SVN and it
worked using Command+Shift+4 then hitting space bar and clicking in
the Wireshark (for X11) window.  However, the packet list (existing
one; not the new one) has some sort of grainy appearance to it.  The
text isn't very sharp at all.  It looks like it went through a fax
machine at a low resolution.

I saw something similar on my 10.5.8 MacBook Pro at home when I used Grab - except that only the topmost packet's row was showing in the packet list pane; the rest of the pane was blank. I also saw the "low- res" font.

If, however, I use Grab on a version of OS X that might already be available in New Zealand (so if you're anywhere west of New Zealand, don't read this message until after midnight :-)):

	$ TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/Pacific/Auckland date
	Fri Aug 28 12:09:58 NZST 2009

it appears to work, both with a built-from-SVN version and 1.2.1.

However:

1) those are different builds of Wireshark (the built-from-SVN version isn't up-to-date)...

	2) ...built on different versions of the OS...

	3) ...possibly with different versions of GTK+...

	3) ...with a different capture file...

	4) ...and with a different set of coloring rules...

5) ...on a machine that might have a different video adapter (iMac at work rather than MacBook Pro at home)...

...so it's not *necessarily* a case of "fixed in the Big White Cat".

I'll see whether I can find anything about bugs involving Grab and X11.