Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] protocol translation

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:22:59 -0700

On May 29, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Jonathan Walker (c) wrote:

I am working on a project on capturing a packet and identifying/ translating its unique communication application protocol inside the standard protocols Eth/IP/UDP.

By this do you mean writing a Wireshark dissector for the protocol?

I was reading about reserving a DLT_VALUE for the protocol, so that with some coding it can be identified.

A DLT_ value is neither necessary, nor sufficient, to identify protocols. DLT_ values are only assigned to protocols that appear as the outermost layer in capture files.