Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to get the data present in the Info Column in Wireshark

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:16:48 -0600
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:16:30AM -0700, siri m wrote:

> Actually, I was able to obtain using pinfo->cinfo->col_data[5]; where
> '5' is for the column info.

This will only work when the info column is in column #6 (or 5 if you
count them starting with 0 like the array above does)...

> (I needed for a custom protocol plugin to be able to handle different
> message types within the protocol). Is there anything within the pinfo
> that can be set with some data that I want so that it can be used
> later for some post-processing that depends on the type of the message
> etc.

Do you need to pass data to a sub-dissector?  If so, try using
pinfo->private_data, which is defined in epan/packet_info.h .  If it is
within the same dissector, check out the information on per packet and
per conversation data storage in doc/README.developer .

Steve