Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How can I use the log file?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:50:45 -0600
On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 11:10:08AM +0000, Liwun Qiu wrote:

> since there're lots of log print in the source code of wireshark,I
> want to take a look at the log file after running wireshark.
>
> But I can't find any log files in the installing folder. Can you tell
> me where can I find them? Thanks

I assume you're referring to the g_log calls?  There is a hidden
preference in Wireshark's preferences file (see Help - About - Folders
to see where the Personal Configuration is to find it under the filename
preferences):

######## Console: logging level ########
# (debugging only, not in the Preferences dialog)
# A bitmask of glib log levels:
# G_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR    = 4
# G_LOG_LEVEL_CRITICAL = 8
# G_LOG_LEVEL_WARNING  = 16
# G_LOG_LEVEL_MESSAGE  = 32
# G_LOG_LEVEL_INFO     = 64
# G_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG    = 128
console.log.level: 28

This enables the g_log functions to print to the console (not to a log
file).  If you're on Windows, make sure to enable the console window in
the Preferences (under the Edit menu).  You can see it is set to 28 by
default; that is the sum of the values of G_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR, _CRITICAL
and _WARNING.

Steve