Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Make GTK+ 2.6 the minimum required GTK version for WS(or eve

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:47:40 -0500

Anders Broman wrote:
Hi,
When converting the clist in rtp_analysis.c to a gtk_list_store it turned out that to get acceptable performance functions from GTK+ 2.6 was needed.

As Stephen Fisher pointed out:

> My initial fix to the problem Anders brought up requires GTK+ 2.6 or later (it is wrapped in a GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2,6,0)). > Right now, we have nineteen GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2,6,0) checks in the code. GTK+ 2.6.0 is dated Dec 16 2004 on _ftp.gtk.org_ <file://ftp.gtk.org>.

 > I think it's reasonable to expect a GTK newer than 5+ years old.

[...]

So I realy think that we sould go for a more modern GTK+ version with Wireshark 1.2 ( Minimum 2.6), from above 2.12 might be the right choice. On Windows we are using GTK+ 2.14.

A while ago I would have argued to keep support for GTK 2.4 because that's what ships with Solaris 10 which is a) likely to be around for a while and b) Sun doesn't update it the way Linux distributions do, but I've been having unpleasant enough experiences with that version (just GUI quirks/weirdness when using Wireshark) I no longer think keeping support for 2.4 is such a good thing.