Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] decoding depth & capture format

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:53:06 -0500

Marc Lebas wrote:
Hello,
Maybe its a User question but that could be a dev issue; anyway there was no answer to my question on the User's mailing list.

The issue : i got different depth in decoding (GPRS over FR), depending on the capture file format : With rf5, the analysis is limited to GPRS protocol layers, but never decode IP which is the encapsulated protocol. With libpcap, it is OK; Wireshark go deeper as it is able to decode encapsulated IP frames in GPRS frames.
Why such a behaviour ? Did i missed something in my config ?
Here is my config on Linux (but the issue is the same on Windows) :
- preferences : fr.encap: GPRS Network Service
- cat k12_protos : "gprs_gb","fr"

Not having ever looked at a GPRS capture in Wireshark, I don't know. (Small) sample captures would help.