Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The native MacOS X GTK port is in beta now

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:34:15 -0700

On Oct 26, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

Hmm.. good points. Do we have menubars on any other windows besides the
main window?

None that I know of; I don't *think* any desktop's guidelines say that windows other than main/document windows should have menu bars (whether that means "menu bar below the title bar" or "menu bar that appears at the top of the screen when the window in question has focus).

I could add a preference to the User Interface - Layout
pane to put the menu bar items only on the OS X menu bar or only in the
Wireshark window.  I want to make it feel like a MacOS X application,
but without going overboard and confusing users.

Depends on the user.

Users used to UNIX+X11 desktops, and who have switched to the biggest UNIX+not-X11 desktop, probably are either already confused or have adapted.

Users used to Mac OS (X or non-X) and who have just installed Wireshark probably find Wireshark a bit odd.

The ones most likely to be confused if Wireshark "goes native" are people used to Mac OS *and* to Wireshark being a bit different.

I guess we could have an off-by-default "make it look like a UNIX+X11 application" option.