Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] The native MacOS X GTK port is in beta now

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:52:53 -0600
The native MacOS X GTK port is now in beta and a easy to install
framework is available from http://www.gtk-osx.org.  I've found an easy
way to compile Wireshark with it to make it a native OS X application
with only a few limitations found so far (the Wireshark logo isn't
showing up and menus aren't synchronized with the OS X menu bar - this
one can be fixed easily if desired).

Steps to build:

  1) Install the framework from http://www.gtk-osx.org (this is the official
	OS X port.)  It is also linked from the http://www.gtk.org download
	page.
  2) Set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH to: /Library/Frameworks/Glib.framework/Resources/dev/lib/pkgconfig:/Library/Frameworks/Gtk.framework/Resources/dev/lib/pkgconfig:/Library/Frameworks/Cairo.framework/Resources/dev/lib/pkgconfig
  3) Re-run configure and make.

I checked out Wireshark svn into a second directory for the MacOS X
testing.

This method is much easier than the earlier methods of using the native
OS X port, which included running jhbuild to check out and compile 11+
dependencies.  The instructinos for using the Gtk framework can be found
at http://developer.imendio.com/node/275.

I'm going to see if I can easily incorporate the makefile method into
our configure script so a user would only need to pass something like
--enable-quartz to use the framework.

Note: This Gtk framework is for Intel Macs only due to the usual
problems with the compile time architecture/byte order checking done by
Glib and friends.

Steve