Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 25232: /trunk/ /trunk/: configure.in

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 00:49:34 -0700
Gerald Combs wrote:

Is the automake 1.9 requirement going to affect a lot of people? I switched to
the "tar-ustar" format in order to allow the inclusion of packaging/macosx in
the distribution. An alternative to requiring automake 1.9 might be to shorten
the paths in packaging/macosx/Resources/themes/Clearlooks-Quicksilver-OSX/.
(Another alternative might be to ditch tar altogether an use zip files for the
distribution...)

OS X 10.4.11 has automake 1.6.3; the Leopard I have at the office has automake 1.10. I don't know what versions various Linux distributions or flavors of BSD have.

If it's an issue, could we manually attempt to set AMTAR to a ustar-capable tar in the configure script?