Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Install of AAA dictionaries, DTDs and MIBS should be made option

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:35:52 +0100
As we all know the init time consumed by the initilaization of RADIUS,
DIAMETER, XML and SNMP makes up for a good part of the initialization
time. Since more users do not require these I guess these shouldn't be
loaded at initialization.

My first thought was at a "delayed" initilalization (initialize just
them when needed, right when the dissector gets called for the first
time), but this has a major drawback not being there at initialization
the dynamic fields from these protocols could not be used in tshark
(or in wireshark up until when the first packet is dissected). i.e.
something like:
    tshark 'radius.UserName == "pippo"'
would not be possible.

So my guess is that the MSI installer and ./configure scripts should
give the user the posssibility to choose whether to install or not
these files (if there are no dictionaries, dtds etc. the init time
will be much shorter).

ANy thoughts?

-- Marshall McLuhan