Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 24675: /trunk-1.0/

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:48:27 -0700

On Mar 18, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:

Should we split
wireshark-win32-libs\glib into two directories, e.g. glib2-gtk2 (which would contain the latest stable version) and glib2-gtk1 (which would contain the latest stable version that works with GTK+1)? It's probably a safe bet that
future versions of GLib won't be guaranteed to work with GTK+1.

I was initially a bit surprised that GLib 2.x worked at all with GTK+ 1.2[.x], but then I remembered that, on Windows, they used GLib 2.y, for some value of y, even with GTK+ 1.2[.x].

I'd say we should be prepared to ship different versions of GLib with GTK+ 2.x and 1.2[.x].

BTW, what are the reasons for still offering GTK+ 1.2[.x]? The ones I can think of are:

	1) I think in some cases GTK+ 1.2[.x] is faster;

2) I have the impression it handles 8-bit color on Windows better than 2.x;

3) if you're building on a really old version of an OS that provides GTK+, it might come with GTK+, and you might not want to upgrade the OS or install a newer GTK+ just to get Wireshark.