Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 24675: /trunk-1.0/

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:31:06 +0100
Guy Harris schrieb:

I was initially a bit surprised that GLib 2.x worked at all with GTK+ 1.2[.x], but then I remembered that, on Windows, they used GLib 2.y, for some value of y, even with GTK+ 1.2[.x].

I'd say we should be prepared to ship different versions of GLib with GTK+ 2.x and 1.2[.x].
Sounds perfectly reasonable.

BTW: For the Windows version, this should read 1.3[.x] (and not 1.2.x).
BTW, what are the reasons for still offering GTK+ 1.2[.x]? The ones I can think of are:

	1) I think in some cases GTK+ 1.2[.x] is faster;
Don't know
2) I have the impression it handles 8-bit color on Windows better than 2.x;
8-bit color on Windows seems a problem with GTK 2.x - at least in some versions.
3) if you're building on a really old version of an OS that provides GTK+, it might come with GTK+, and you might not want to upgrade the OS or install a newer GTK+ just to get Wireshark
That's not a problem of the Windows version ;-)

4) someone complained that the GTK2.x version uses more screen real estate compared to the GTK 1.x version.

Well, we had several "occasions" in the past, where problems appeared with the windows version and we had asked to try the 1.x version - which helped for the 8-bit color problem and might give at least some hints about the underlying problem for new problem reports.

Anyway, given the fact that GTK 1.x really shows it's ages (AFAIK no support from the GTK team) and GTK 3.x at least is already in the early discussions, we might think about dropping the GTK 1.x support after our 1.0 release ...

Regards, ULFL