Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using wireshark protocol parsers to buildpackets

From: "[Chris] NULL" <chrismc912@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:57:33 +0000
I don't see any code posted for these two tools, but you may want to
contact the people involved:
http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/LBNL-FTP-ANON.html
http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/labs/nsa/honeynet/tools/pcap-anon.shtml

Thanks for the links. Actually there is a lot of research going on on this field in the academic and industry area. I have made a collection of research papers and available tools in bibtext format. If anyone of you is interested in this, write a mail to chris _at_ chrismc _dot_ de.

We (Institute for Telematics, University of Karlsruhe, Germany) are currently working on a flexible and extensible anonymization tool that works profile based. Writing protocol parsers and assembles is hard work and assembling protocols is sometimes quite complex, especially if you want to allow removal of data (e.g. IP options), reflect changes in new checksums, allow every protocol attribute to be anonymized with an arbitrary anonymization primitive, etc.

Having Wireshark disectors do the parsing and assembling would be awsome, especiall because of the huge amount of protocols that Wireshark supports.

Regards,
Chris

Obviously any tool has it's limits and what is considered public
information to one person is confidential to another.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/