Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Roofnet Dissector

From: Nicola Arnoldi <nicola.arnoldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 23:02:25 +0100
Here you will find informations for designing a dissector for the
Roofnet Layer 2.5 routing protocol for wireless mesh network of
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/roofnet/.

The Layer 2.5 works as follows.

- Inside the MAC 802.11 frame a 1500 byte datagram is located.

It consists of a 400 byte header and a 1100 byte data field. (see
attachment for a pictorial representation)

The 400-bytes header contains a lot of informations. Some of them are
fixed, such as the protocol version and other stuff (160 bytes).

The variable-length part of the header contains routing information of a
multi-hop transmission. More specifically, those bytes contain the IP
addresses of the hops involved in the route of the current datagram.

So, 1100+400 bytes form the payload of Layer 2 MAC protocol.

In the data field a standard UDP or TCP datagrams may be carried.

I hope everything is clear.

If you need a sample capture just tell me.

Regards

Nicola Arnoldi