Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Patch] Re: capture from a fifo

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 01:13:16 +0200
Richard van der Hoff wrote:
Any thoughts on this? Ulf, in particular? At the very least, a clarification of the direction this code is supposed to be going would be appreciated.

To summarise the story so far:

- capture from a fifo doesn't work for tshark
- I proposed a patch to make tshark use capture_loop_dispatch rather than pcap_dispatch, which handles this more gracefully (and removed some common code between tshark and dumpcap)
- Ulf rejected this as he felt it was a retrograde step
- I disagree, and don't understand how he would prefer to have the bug fixed.
... and now it's checked in!

You may check the changes, as I had to apply the patch by hand.

Sorry, but I completely misunderstood you.

The direction is to use dumpcap in tshark as well. The direction is therefore to use as much of the capture_loop code in tshark as reasonably possible.

BTW: The mkfifo command isn't available on Win32 (even on cygwin), so I made this test configurable in config.sh.

Regards, ULFL