Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Could someone please update the FAQ or should we drop it com

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:57:02 +0800

Ulf Lamping wrote:
Hi List!

As I'm reading the current FAQ (and someone pointed that it should be included in the help system), it seems to be very much outdated.

There are a lot of entries which are obviously not a *frequently* asked question today, e.g. 5.2: "This is a bug in Ethereal 0.10.0a, which is fixed in 0.10.1 and later releases."

I'm seeing two options here:

- someone takes the time to take care about the FAQ to keep it accurate - and keeping it accurate
- we drop the FAQ completely (which is my favourite)

Given the number of questions that I've seen (okay, not recently) in mailing lists that are answered with a link to the FAQ, I don't think removing it would be a good idea, if only to save people from typing the same response over and over again...

An FAQ which helps people about problems we had years ago doesn't help anyone IMHO.

True, but many of the questions _are_ still frequently asked (especially with regard to Windows capturing, wireless capturing, etc.).

But of course it does need to be kept up to date. Maybe it should be a Wiki so the rest of us (who don't have svn write access) can update it (without having to go through all the work of submitting patches)?