Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Could someone please update the FAQ or should we drop it com

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:12:07 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> Ulf Lamping wrote:
> > Hi List!
> >
> > As I'm reading the current FAQ (and someone pointed that it should be
> > included in the help system), it seems to be very much outdated.
> >
> > There are a lot of entries which are obviously not a *frequently* asked
> > question today, e.g. 5.2: "This is a bug in Ethereal 0.10.0a, which is
> > fixed in 0.10.1 and later releases."
> >
> > I'm seeing two options here:
> >
> > - someone takes the time to take care about the FAQ to keep it accurate
> > - and keeping it accurate
> > - we drop the FAQ completely (which is my favourite)
>
> Given the number of questions that I've seen (okay, not recently) in
> mailing lists that are answered with a link to the FAQ, I don't think
> removing it would be a good idea, if only to save people from typing the
> same response over and over again...

I think so too, a (sanitized) FAQ is a Good Thing(sm).

> > An FAQ which helps people about problems we had years ago doesn't help
> > anyone IMHO.
>
> True, but many of the questions _are_ still frequently asked (especially
> with regard to Windows capturing, wireless capturing, etc.).
>
> But of course it does need to be kept up to date.  Maybe it should be a
> Wiki so the rest of us (who don't have svn write access) can update it
> (without having to go through all the work of submitting patches)?

We're looking for the combination of an up-to-date FAQ list which is
easily maintainable by everyone......... a Wiki!!!!!!!!
Luckily we have one, so my suggestion is to merge the real Frequently
Asked Questions into the Wiki and let it live there.

Thanx,
Jaap