Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal capture for long period

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 18:31:36 +0530

Hi,

I am using Ethereal with version 0.10.14. I ran Ethereal to capture packets with the interface “VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter                          : \Device\NPF_{588609BD-341C-482C-AC1C-E10E0545CC63}”. After capturing around 1,000,000 packets Ethereal crashed because of low Virtual memory. For this capture I used option "update list of packets in real time" and "multiple files option" to dump packets in hard disk after every 1 MB of capture.

But When I do not use the option,"update list of packets in real time", Virtual memory used by ethereal is minimal and there is no problem while capturing for long period.

Is there any way by which I could use options "update list of packets in real time"  and capture for long period of time?

Whats the approximate maximum number of packets (or duration) captured by ethereal with option "update list of packets in real time" ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gaurav