Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] (Slightly OT) Ethernet length question

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:48:10 +0200
OK, thanks for the clarification.
However, in the meantime I also conducted another search, and I found two
sources -
1. IEEE 802.1Q (2003), see pg 39 (actual page, including all prefaces etc),
look near the end (specifically at the sentence "Include additional octets
before the FCS field in order for the transmitted frame length for such
frames to be 68 octets. This results in a minimum tagged frame length of 68
octets.")
(the file can be found here: ftp://ftp.ecitele.com/notes/IEEE802.1-Q.-2003
_(VLAN).pdf)
2. According to CISCO - 68 bytes (
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094665.shtml#frame2
)

Now, my problem is that I got a bet with R&D guys around here, and it seems
my sources say that it's 68 bytes, and you're saying it's 64... or have I
misunderstood the IEEE doc??

TnX

             Jaap Keuter
             <jaap.keuter@xs4a
             ll.nl>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Ethereal user support
             ethereal-users-bo         <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             unces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                          cc
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Ethereal-users] (Slightly OT)
             18/01/2006 13:34          Ethernet length question

             Please respond to
               Ethereal user
                  support
             <ethereal-users@e
               thereal.com>

Hi,

What you should decouple is the minumum 64 octet Ethernet requirement
from the actual use of these octets.

The 802.1Q spec only tells you that if the Ethernet II header contains a
type value of 0x8100 the next two octets are to be interpreted as VLAN
tag. That defines use.

When a frame is present on the wire it needs to be minimum 64 octets,
whatever the use of these octets.

These are seperate things.

Hope it helps,
Jaap

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 Ran.Shenhar@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> TnX Jaap,
> I know the CSMA/CD principles behind the 64 byte minimum requirement.
> However, my question is really focused on the 802.1Q change (or no
change)
> in that demand, and I didn't understand the answer for that issue from
your
> answer.
> Could you please try to clarify?
>
> TnX
>

>              Jaap Keuter
>              <jaap.keuter@xs4a
>              ll.nl>
>              Sent by:                  Ethereal user support
>              ethereal-users-bo         <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>              unces@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject