Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] proxy connection tag?

From: Vicky Rode <vickyr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:14:43 -0700

Guy Harris wrote:
| Vicky Rode wrote:
|

|>in-line:
|

| Yes, that's the default, at least amongst us UN*X weenies; top-posting
| is the exception.
|

|>At least based on what I've seen, http:// and Referer http:// headers
|>came up consistently when using split proxy such as google web
|>accelerator. The outgoing request had a combination of http:// and
|>Referer http://.
|

| Referer: headers, according to RFC 2616, specify "the address (URI) of
| the resource from which the Request-URI was obtained"; that has nothing
| to do with proxying.  Perhaps there exist *some* proxies that do things
| with Referer: headers, but I don't think any of the NetCache appliances
| to which I referred above do.
- --------------
At least that what I'm seeing consistently.

| Referer: headers are *supposed* to contain full URIs, not just a path.
| The fact that they start with http:// shouldn't be a surprise, although
| it could start with https:// or ftp:// or....
- -------------
correct.

| I can't speak for what the Google Web Accelerator does, but, from a
| quick look at Google's pages talking about it, it's not a "transparent
| proxy" in the sense I used - a "transparent proxy" in that sense is a
| machine that intercepts HTTP (and possibly other) requests before
| they're passed to the origin server, and proxies them, perhaps doing
| caching (or other operations).
- ---------------
I think GWA is trying to achieve similar to what Akamai is doing.

| Just because the Google Web Accelerator happens to pass a complete URL
| in a GET header (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "in the first
| line, they use the complete URL of the resource being requested"), that
| doesn't mean that a request from an ordinary browser that doesn't even
| know it's talking to a proxy will magically have http://{origin server}/
| inserted in front of the path in a GET request.
True enough, but I'm noticing http:// and /or Referer http:// in GWA
flows so I thought to focus on these headers.

regards,
/vicky