Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] high percentage of dropped frames in sniffing output

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:50:31 +0200
John Que wrote:

Hello, I am testing a heavy network server.
 The machine I am testing on is a strong one - 2 Xeon Processors (3.0 Ghz).
Now, I am using one Network Card.
I am trying to sniff from a command line to a file with

tethereal -f "host 10.0.0.1" -w "myOutput.txt"
I see that
from 612751
71442 packets dropped

this is about 11.6 % packets dropped !

My question is: is there a way to lower (or disable at all) the number of packets dropped? Is there some paramtere of the NIC upon which this parameter is dependent?

Well, see http://wiki.ethereal.com/Performance although most tips will apply to Ethereal and not Tethereal.

You may try *not* using a capture filter, as this slows down capturing, but this will increase output size of course. You can filter out unrequired packets later.

Which operating system do you use? Which link speed do you use? ...

Regards, ULFL