Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] high percentage of dropped frames in sniffing output

From: John Que <qwejohn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:34:25 -0400
Hello,
  I am testing a heavy network server.
  The machine I am testing on is a strong one - 2 Xeon Processors (3.0 Ghz).
Now, I am using one Network Card.
I am trying to sniff from a command line to a file with

tethereal -f "host 10.0.0.1" -w "myOutput.txt"
I see that
from 612751
71442 packets dropped

this is about 11.6 % packets dropped !

My question is:
is there a way to lower (or disable at all) the number of packets dropped?
Is there some paramtere of the NIC upon which this parameter is dependent?

Regards,
John