Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Other Connections found in a trace

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:00:11 -0700
Gruchevsky, Steven A wrote:

I have Ethereal loaded on several of my servers. I would expect to see packets only sourced or destined to the server in which I am capturing. Actually, I am seeing packets for other source destination pairs. Why would this occur? My servers are attached to switches.

Are the destinations unicast, or are they broadcast or multicast?

If they're unicast, that's a surprise, as I'd expect the switch not to forward to the port for one of your servers packets not sent to a MAC address for the server's adapter plugged into that switch.