Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Other Connections found in a trace

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:25:23 +1000
Even on a server port you might occasionally see unicast packets that
you are not the correct destination port for. This would occur if the
switch you are connected to receives a unicast packet for that
destination address, but it has not seen that destination before (or for
a long time). The switch will flood all unicast packets with an unknown
destination to all ports. Of course, when the switch does see the
response from this device, it will then learn the address, map it to the
correct port, and it will no longer need to flood the packet.

(As most hosts broadcast or multicast something when they first come up,
usually all switches will learn the correct outbound port for that host
right from the beginning. The above scenario usually only occurs, if
there is very little activity from the host or if switches in the
network have been rebooted and hence need to relearn a valid MAC address
forwarding table)

Martin Visser, CISSP
Network and Security Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visser@xxxxxxxx

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.