Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] please tell me how to get 802.11 header and non-data frames

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:17:18 -0700
jiang aimme wrote:
1.last time you tell that ethereal can set my card in promiscuous mode ,but can it also set my adapter in monitor mode by default?

No.  Ethereal doesn't have any code to put adapters into monitor mode.

if not ,should i set it in monitor  mode before ethereal run.

If you want the 802.11 header and non-data frames, yes.

now i use asus wl-167g to capture data.

See

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup_2fWLAN#head-83ad8510bbd3f22363d068e1c96f82fd0fcccd31

and the various pages it links to. For example, it refers you to pages of information on various 802.11 cards, which will indicate what chips particular adapter cards use and what Linux driver(s) are used with them.

2.i know ethereal can show 802.11 header and non-data frames,but is it support automatically without another settig if my adapter support monitor mode.

I think so, but it probably depends on your adapter and the driver used for it.

3. when ethereal run ,information that "symbol 'pcap_version' has different size in shared object,consider re_linking" is shown. i wonder if mismatching react to that i only capture data to and from my adapter.

That's a separate problem, which has nothing to do with the packet capture issues you're seeing.