Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] dissector

From: Fabrizio Bertocci <fabrizio@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:21:59 -0700
You cannot build the dissector separately from Ethereal. To create a new dissector, build Ethereal first, then use an existing dissector as a base for your dissector. There's a way to create plug-ins for Ethereal that are dynamically loaded at runtime, but I've never done it before... so I can't help much here. There's nothing to add to makefiles or config files. The build system automatically will detect your new dissector and build it. There is plenty of information on the 'doc' directory (in the source distribution) on how to build on different platforms. You want to read also the file 'dos/README.developer'. Consider it as the best source of information for adding a dissector on Ethereal...

Fabrizio

Vladimir Zherdenovsky wrote:

Hello,

I am using ethereal for capture and debug packets generated by my application.

Now I want to create the dissector for my packets.

I am not really understood what I need to do.

Do I need to write the dissector on C and build the ethereal on my PC?

Or I can to build only the dissector and add it to the existing ethereal?

Please help

Thank you

Vladimir