Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Tethereal can, Ethereal cannot

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:44:22 +0530
Hello,

I am using named pipes (FIFO) to read captured data. My problem is that Tethereal is able to show the captured data using
    "tethereal -i /tmp/myfifo"

but ethereal is not able to display the captured packets. Am using following command:
    "ethereal -i /tmp/myfifo -kl"
Ethereal just says that theres nothing to display as no data has been captured. I can confirm that its reading the right FIFO as it does identify a wrong formatted data, whenever I try to write some junk data (read non-pcap conforming data) on the pipe.

Following command is being used in both the above cases to write captured data on FIFO
    "cat packets.pcap > /tmp/myfifo"   /* myfifo has been created using "mknod p"*/

Ironically, the file "packets.pcap" has been created after capturing data on my host's network interface using *Ethereal* itself.

Please help.
Thanks and regards,
Jeetendra