Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] RFQ

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:05:03 +1000

Jessie,

A few things. I'm not sure why a capture card for Ethereal would want to
"bypass main CPU processing". The only way that Ethereal works is for
the main CPU to do the work. Any ethernet card that libpcap works with
should do - I am not sure why a special request would be required.

Also unless you are doing something very curious an Ethernet card is not
going to support OC-3 or OC-12. These are SONET specs which are only
relevant if you are doing ATM or Packet over SONET or the link. The
Ethernet fibre specs you should be interested in are 10BaseFL,
100BaseFX, 1000BaseSX/LX etc. (And again most NICs today only support
one media - you are possibly better off either with a media converter or
alternatively just expect your fibre-based ethernet switches to support
port spanning/mirroring to a copper port/

Martin

Martin Visser, CISSP
Network and Security Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.