Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] RFQ

From: "McNeil, Jessie T, CFSMD" <jtmcneil@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 13:13:40 -0500
Can you direct me to someone that know were I can purchase an Network Sniffer Interface Card with the below spec's?

Jessie,

We are looking for a network sniffer interface card that handles grabbing Ethernet frames and placing them in computer memory for Application processing.  The goal of the card is to off-load main CPU processing and bypass IP stack processing by simply capturing ethernet frames.  The card need not be in-line with the traffic, nor does it need to be able to transmit, but these are bonuses.  It is for a highspeed passive network sniffer application.  The card vendor should supply an Application Programming Interface (API) that allows us to write applications in C/C++ to process the sniffed frames.  The card should timestamp each frame as it arrives and provide an indicator that the card has overflowed should traffic increase beyond its ability to process.  The card should meet the following specifications:

Interfaces:
	Minimum Requirement:  Ethernet Copper RJ45 10/100/1000BaseT  , Fiber interface is a plus
	Desired Interfaces:  OC-3, OC-12
PC Compatibility
	PCI/PCI-X interface
	Linux Redhat Release 3 drivers.

That should be a start.  Anything that comes close, we would want to at least look at.

JessieT. McNeil
SCA Contractor
P#703-506-5808
F#703-848-0940