Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] GUI in Linux

From: Scott Lowrey <slowrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:33:57 -0500
Guy Harris wrote:

and make sure that your environmental variables for DISPLAY are set correctly.

If run from the GUI, that'll be done automatically.

One caveat here: some Linux systems have port 6000 disabled by default. If you're used to running X apps in "the usual way", you'll go nuts wondering why nothing (including xhost) works.

I ran into this with SuSE 9.1. It's a Good Thing from a security perspective but if you want to disable it and return to a normal life, check your release notes. (In SuSE, the relevant line is in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, as I recall.)