Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] GUI in Linux

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:14:08 -0800
Brant I. Stevens wrote:
You will need to be running an X-aware terminal (like X-term)

*If* you're running Ethereal from the command line. It can also be run directly from KDE, and probably also from GNOME and other UN*X+X desktops.

and make sure that your environmental variables for DISPLAY are set correctly.

If run from the GUI, that'll be done automatically. If your xterm (or Konsole or...) are run from the GUI, they'll have their DISPLAY environment variable set correctly - and should pass that on to whatever shell they run in the terminal.

The original person's problem was probably the packaging of Ethereal - for whatever reason, Ethereal tends to be packaged in multiple RPMs, and the "core" RPM doesn't actually include the Ethereal program itself, you have to install the GTK+ RPM or the GNOME RPM or whatever the RPM with the GUI versioin is called.