Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Hidden text )

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:11:32 -0800
student4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

My X-server doesn't support RENDER (xpdyinfo said so) indeed.

This might be due to a bug in the Xft library:

	http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2003-November/msg00022.html

although that's an old message, so perhaps that's not the cause.

It might also be that the claim that Xft "falls back correctly to other means of drawing anti-aliased text" isn't always true, and that it's *not* correctly drawing anti-aliased text in that case.

As temprary solution I rebuilt ehtereal with gtk2 feature disabled. Looks ugly but
works!

That means "rebuilt Ethereal to use GTK+ 1.2[.x]", and 1.2[.x] doesn't know about RENDER or anti-aliasing.

This is probably a problem either in GTK+ or Xft, so that's probably where it'd have to be fixed.