Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Hidden text )

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:55:45 -0800
student4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Can you help me with the following problem? I've downloaded and
successfully built latest version of ethereal on my red hat 9 system.
It executed normally, but no text is visible in menus, tooltips etc.
Absolutely no text anywhere in application!

Upon execution it dumps console message:
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display "...:0.0"

What does it mean? Is the problem in my X-server (I used X-Win32 from
StarNet Communication Corp. v5.4 running on win2000) ?

The problem is probably at least in part a problem with GTK+, the toolkit Ethereal's using, or perhaps even with the version of Xlib on your system. Toolkits are *supposed* to use the regular drawing mechanisms in X if the RENDER extension is missing, but perhaps the version of GTK+ on your system isn't properly handing an X server that doesn't support RENDER. They won't be able to, for example, draw antialiased text if RENDER is missing, but if that's the case they should just draw text without antialiasing rather than not drawing the text at all.

You might want to ask Red Hat about that.