Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] microsoft-ds [SYN] frames flooding my system

From: Jonathan Sanders <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:44:54 -0600
See this all the time here at the ISP where I work...

Most the time it's a Sasser variant trying to initiate outbound connections. Or Blaster maybe. If I remember right it's trying to make a connection to a server to download a backdoor to install opening up a port on your box to the outside world. Then again, all depends on the virus. For sure virus traffic though...

Jonathan

Harrison, Bruce wrote:
I use Ethereal on my Linux routers.  At one location, we are flooded, from several users, with microsoft-ds [SYN] frames going to numerous ipaddresses outside our systems.  Most of the outside addresses are black holes (192.168.128.214, etc).

I think it is part of the Fizzer Worm Virus associated with AOL IM and IRC, but am not sure.

Can anyone shed light on what this microsoft-ds [SYN] is and where I can go to find more information?

Thanks,
Bruce Harrison