Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] microsoft-ds [SYN] frames flooding my system

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:22:37 -0800
Guy Harris wrote:

445 is the TCP port number they're trying to connect to; that'd show up in the Ethereal trace as well, and you don't have to muck around with text files to find it.

Oh, and the "SYN" is an indication that this is an attempt to make a TCP connection (to port 445, in this case). There's probably a tutorial on TCP that talks about the "three-way handshake" for making a connection (machine A sends a packet with a SYN to machine B; machine B acknowledges the SYN, indicating that it received the SYN, and replies with a SYN of its own, indicating that it's willing to accept the connection, in a packet with SYN+ACK; machine A then acknowledges the SYN it got from machine B, in a packet with ACK). Google for "TCP tutorial".