Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How to add SNMP MIBS under Windows?

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:47:11 +0100
Paul Sellnow wrote:
<I've seen a few Linux posts on this, but nothing specific about adding MIBS under Windows.
<I have added the MIB files to the ethereal/snmp/mibs directory under Program Files,

Yes, that should be the correct directory - at least if the MIBDIRS environment variable isn't defined
and pointing to another directory (that could be the case if you have installed some other
program that uses ucdsnmp/Net-SNMP that has set the MIBDIRS environment variable).

<and have added the MIB names to the "MIB Modules to Load" dialogue box in
<the Preferences:SNMP window, but I still get raw ASN notation in my decodes.

Please note that there should be semi-colons instead of colons between the different MIB-names (on Windows).
If you installed Ethereal a while ago, then probably you have colons - and then it will not work.
Replace them with semicolons or replace the list of names with ALL  (if you want all of the MIBs in the directory to be
loaded).

<I don't think I am missing any supporting modules, but how would I check for failed
<dependencies among the MIB modules? All the MIBS I want to add are listed in the .
<index file in program files/ethereal/snmp/mibs after I restart ethereal.
<What else should I be looking for? Is there a startup log file I can check?

You can configure Ethereal to display warnings  in a console window.
Do this from Menu item: Edit/Preferences/  UserInterface/Open a console window: Always (debugging).
It might give some hints.