Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] getting Ethereal to run on Windows

From: "Richard Lopez" <richard.lopez@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:11:40 -0500
Hi,

I'm a new user to Ethereal and trying to get it running on Windows XP. Whenever I start a new session the only traffic I see is spanning tree from the Cisco switch. I thought the problem was with the Catalyst 2950 switch not being properly configured for SPAN but I have exhausted all the   possibilities in that area. That idea was reinforced whenI put an old hub in the network instead of the switch and I could see traffic. However, if I run Ethereal from a Linux box connected to the port I have designated as the SPAN destination port I can see all network traffic which tells me that the switch is configured properly. I'm using version 10.8. I have also tried running from Windows 2000 with the same results. Has anyone had problems seeing traffic on the Windows platform? Thanks.

Rick