Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] getting Ethereal to run on Windows

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:41:09 -0800
Richard Lopez wrote:

I'm a new user to Ethereal and trying to get it running on Windows
XP.  Whenever I start a new session the only traffic I see is spanning tree
from the Cisco switch. I thought the problem was with the Catalyst 2950
switch not being properly configured for SPAN but I have exhausted all
the possibilities in that area. That idea was reinforced whenI put an
old hub in the network instead of the switch and I could see traffic.
However, if I run Ethereal from a Linux box connected to the port I have
designated as the SPAN destination port I can see all network traffic
which tells me that the switch is configured properly.

I.e., you plug a machine running Windows XP (or W2K) into that port, and run Ethereal on it, and that instance of Ethereal sees only STP traffic (probably because it's broadcast or multicast), but if you plug a Linux machine into the *same* port, and run Ethereal on the Linux machine, that instance of Ethereal sees all the traffic?