Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem on Windows XP with "Update list of packetsin real t

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:20:57 +0100
Doug,

Although the WinPcap 3.1 driver is labelled beta, I have never encountered a single crash with them. There's even a beta4 you can get from http://winpcap.polito.it/install/default.htm in the case you want to try it. I'm thinking this might be the cause, although I have no hard evidence I can rely upon.

On what network are you capturing (LAN, Wireless, or PPP link)?

And, are you capturing in promiscuous mode or not? This only matters for wireless links.

Best regards,

Olivier

----- Original Message ----- From: Douglas Burdett

Oliver,

I tried unchecking all the Name Resolution selections and it didn't seem
to help.  I am running WinPcap 3.0. which seems to be the latest
released version.  Do I need to be running a beta version?

Just to reiterate: I am able to capture packets just fine as long as I
don't check "Update list of packets in real time".

Thanks for your help
Doug