Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Comparision of Ethereal with Airopeek and Network Observer

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:16:50 +1100
I have never seen the wifi version of observer so i can not comment on it.

There are some recent additions (and some not so recent ones) to the
wifi dissection in ethereal,

very recently  detection and flagging of weak wep keys were added
(will be in the next version of ethereal)

I do think that IF you have the wep keys, that ethereal can decrypt
the traffic for you.  I have never tested that myself since
1, i am not using/interested in wep
2, i have never seen a wifi trace.

I have heard that there are often issues with capturing wifi traffic
due to several reasons.
If your capturing is successful on linux or xxxBSD  please tell us
about your experiences of what worked and what didnt work.