Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] capture file overhead?

From: "M. Snigel" <murdersnail@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:08:59 +0100 (CET)
I'm trying to use Ethereal (on WinXP) to measure the
network traffic over time on a networks interface, by
basically capturing the traffic into rotating files
and then regularly running a script checking the sizes
and sequential numbers of the capture files.

Now, my question is, how much overhead would these
files contain? That is, how much data does ethereal
add itself to the captured data when it creates the
files? Does anyone have any idea? I would be very
grateful if someone could help me find out, so I know
what accuracy I can expect from the measurements...

Best Regards,
Lasse Hardell
Stockholm Sweden