Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] New to capturing, ?about capturing from specific IP

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:07:51 -0800
Richard Hall wrote:

I tried the procedure given in the reply to John Vo.  It didn't work for me.

So I presume you entered, into the "Filter" field in the "Capture Options" dialog box, a filter such as

	host 192.9.200.1

where "192.9.200.1" would be replaced by...

The IP I attempted capturing from is a printer with an HP JetDirect NIC.

...the IP address, or host name, of the printer.

Did you use the IP address, or host name?

I've also attempted to capture from a workstation with the same result.

I'm running Ethereal 0.10.5 (C) in a Windows 2000 environment.  Workstations
are running either Win2K or WinXP.  Servers are running Win2K and WinNT 4.0.
All machines are up-to-date on patches and service packs.  I got the error
message shown in the attachments.  The .DOC is in Word 2000 format.

...which means you will have to wait until somebody with software capable of reading that particular file looks at your mail - I am, currently, not such a person, as I read my mail on my PowerBook, and it doesn't have Office installed, and, whilst TextEdit can read some documents, it shows yours as blank; perhaps it only handles text, not embedded images, in Word documents.

People should, ideally, not send screenshots at all, especially for error messages; they should cut-and-paste the text if the alert box supports that, and type it in if not, as sending the text means that the message is a *lot* smaller - people reading mail on slow links will greatly appreciate that. (It took many seconds to download it on my 384Kb-to-1.5Mb DSL connection; for somebody on a dial-up line, which I think many readers are, it could take a prohibitive amount of time to download a screenshot, and I think people have complained about that on the list in the past.)

If people *have* to send a screenshot, they should send it as a GIF or JPEG, *NOT* as a Word document or PowerPoint slide show, as more people on the list have software capable of displaying GIFs or JPEGs than have software capable of reading Word documents or PowerPoint slide shows. (Yes, there exists software that can read them on non-Windows systems, but not everybody's bought or downloaded and installed that software.)