Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] New to capturing, ?about capturing from specific IP

From: Jonathan Sanders <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:58:26 -0600
The filters and examples I was giving are for tcpdump and not Ethereal. Sorry for the confusion...

Richard Hall wrote:
Hello,

I tried the procedure given in the reply to John Vo.  It didn't work for me.
The IP I attempted capturing from is a printer with an HP JetDirect NIC.
I've also attempted to capture from a workstation with the same result.

I'm running Ethereal 0.10.5 (C) in a Windows 2000 environment.  Workstations
are running either Win2K or WinXP.  Servers are running Win2K and WinNT 4.0.
All machines are up-to-date on patches and service packs.  I got the error
message shown in the attachments.  The .DOC is in Word 2000 format.

Addresses I have attempted capturing from are:  164.106.71.2 (printer)
                                                164.106.70.221 (work
station)

Can someone please help me?  I really need to watch a few specific IPs
because of suspected hacking attempts.

Thanks for your help.  I've learned a lot from these exchanges.

Regards,

Richard Hall
Computer Networking Technician Senior
Germanna Community College
2130 Germanna Highway
Locust Grove, VA 22508
540-727-3126
rhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard W. Hamming (1915-1998)