Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Help: Ethereal often hangs up

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:59:01 -0800
Franz Edler wrote:

Thank you for the hint, Guy. But I followed the hints from FAQ and still
have the same problem. Now the situation is:
- I have no name resolution activated (neither MAC, network nor transport resolution).
- I have disabled update list of packets in real time.

You missed the other hint:

If Ethereal hangs when reading a capture even with network name
resolution turned off, there might, for example, be a bug in one of
Ethereal's dissectors for a protocol causing it to loop infinitely. If
you're not running the most recent release of Ethereal, you should first
upgrade to that release, as, if there's a bug of that sort, it might've
been fixed in a release after the one you're running. If the hang occurs
in the most recent release of Ethereal, the bug should be reported to
the Ethereal developers' mailing list at ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

followed by details about how to get a stack trace and to find the capture file that caused the problem.