Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: 802.1p packet marking / detection

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:17:53 -0800
Chris T. wrote:
I read the FAQ and I am not sure I completly understand what they are saying.

What the FAQ is saying could be thought of as

Ethereal doesn't directly control the network hardware on the machine on which it's running. It uses libpcap/WinPcap to do that, and libpcap/WinPcap doesn't directly control it, either; it requests that various pieces of networking code in the OS do so.

The networking code in the OS, on machines connected to a VLAN, might contain a networking "interface" that doesn't directly correspond to the network adapter, and doesn't supply packets as received by the network adapter; instead, it might supply packets that have the VLAN header removed.

It might also contain a networking interface that directly corresponds to the network adapter, and supplies the raw packets as received by the adapter; in order to see VLAN tags, and traffic for VLANs other than the one to which the machine is connected, you'll have to capture on that interface, rather than on the one that supplies packets with the VLAN header removed.

What the interfaces are called depends on your OS; I don't have a list of what they're called on various OSes.

A further problem is that I think some network adapter hardware can be configured to be connected to a particular VLAN, in which case they'll strip off VLAN tags, and discard packets not for that VLAN, before supplying them to the host, in which case there might not *be* an interface that can see the raw packets on the LAN. In that case, you might have to capture on a machine that's not connected to any VLAN - in which case it might not be able to communicate on the LAN, in particular to resolve network addresses to host names, so you might have to turn off network name resolution to prevent Ethereal (or whatever capture program you're using) from pausing for long periods of time trying to resolve network addresses.