Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Building a dummy libpcap file with tethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:02:26 -0700
Luis Monge wrote:
Is it possible to create a dummy libpcap file with tethereal?
I read the manual and I haven't found anything like that,

"Create a file with no packets" is a sufficiently uncommon operation that we haven't gone through the effort of adding a feature to do that, which is why you didn't find it in the manual. :-)

You could try doing a live capture with a capture filter unlikely to match any packets, such as "ip proto 666", and interrupt that capture - if it captures no packets, you'll get a capture file with no packets.

Why do you need this file? There might be a way to get what you need without such a file.