Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: EtherPeek equivalents in Ethereal (name table and offse

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:23:02 -0700
Phillip Jordan wrote:

I used the "manuf" file - it was in the Ethereal install directory (C:\Program Files\Ethereal). I couldn't find the "ethers" file you mention.

That's because you haven't created it. :-)

Ethereal uses it if it exists. It silently ignores its absence if it doesn't.

I checked the install directory, and I also checked my Application Data directory - there was no subdirectory for Ethereal (C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Application Data).

You'd have to create it (it's created by Ethereal if you, for example, save your preferences, so that it needs to exist as a place to save them).

But I was able to do what I needed with the "manuf" file. (The manuf file contains this line - "This file is in the same format as ethers(4)"...)

That works - but it exists because we ship one, containing various manufacturer OIDs and well-known MAC addresses and address ranges; ethers is supposed to contain local addresses, so we can't supply one as part of the release, as the contents would differ from site to site.

This means that installing a new version of Ethereal will overwrite the supplied global (install directory) manuf file, so you probably shouldn't put anything there that you want to survive the installation of a new version.